All posts by 28

The DFD has immediate volunteer firefighter positions available.
Go to the join tab to obtain more information or stop by DFD Station 1 to talk to the on duty crew.

Business Hours 8am – 4pm

Burn Permits

Do you need a burn permit?

VISIT the following web pages:


If after reading information on open burning please contact the Tennessee Department of Forestry to obtain a permit.
Contact: 865-475-3467

In Summary:
Burning permits focus attention on the safe use of fire. From October 15 through May 15, anyone starting an open-air fire within 500 feet of a forest, grassland, or woodland must by law secure a burning permit from the Division of Forestry. Permits are not required for burning in containers such as a metal barrel with a ½” mesh screen cover. Anyone needing to burn within an incorporated city should contact city authorities about any local burning ordinances. Many towns and cities have their own burning regulations that supersede the Division of Forestry’s burning permit program.

What NOT to burn according to TDEC.
Tires and other rubber products
Vinyl siding and vinyl shingles
Plastics and other synthetic materials
Paper products, cardboard and newspaper
Asphalt shingles, and other asphalt roofing materials and demolition debris
Asbestos-containing materials
Paints, household and agricultural chemicals
Aerosol cans and food cans
Building material and construction debris
Buildings and mobile homes
Coated wire
Household trash
Most vegetation not grown on site
To report illegal burning, please call toll-free 1-888-891-TDEC